One way or another, we all have customers. We may be supporting co-workers and managers or we serve external consumers or business partners. How we approach our work may make a huge difference in our effectiveness and the perceived value of what we actually deliver. All in all, the only control we have over doing what can seem like a thankless job is changing our outlook on why we are doing it. If you are unhappy in your current situation, the following steps may help lead you to a new understanding of your role or to a new way of thinking.
Understand your motivation. Are you:
- Providing a service or simply completing tasks?
- Earning a paycheck or changing lives?
- Energized by finding solutions?
- Fueled by the successes of others or focused on your own?
- Encouraged by challenges and opportunities to learn, or are you feeling like you are in over your head?